Browse Exhibits (15 total)
Farming and agriculture were central to the core of the community from the late 1700's, until the mid 1800's when water powered industries began to dominate the economy and develpment in the town. Some of the reminants of the old town center and surorunding farms remain even today, as do some of the more permant features of that time, such as the old Town Pound.
This exhibit has photos, articles, and documents covering art, music, movies, dance drama, and culture in Farmington, NH over time. Farmington has a long, rich history of supporting the arts and culture in the community. Farmington was once home to the Farmington Opera House, the Joachim & Lucie Schuller Museum of Art & Chivalry, and an MGM Strand Theater. The downtown has hosted many department stores, fine jewelers, milliners, dress shops, and photography studios. In the late 1800's through the early 1900's Farmington was a destination and many famous speakers and lecturers visited Farmington. Over the years Farmington has also been graced with the presence of many authors, poets, playwrights, artists, singers, musicians, and dancers and some have called Farmington home.
This exhibit contains photos, articles, and documents covering disaters that happened in Farmington, NH. Farmington like any other town that has had a share of disasters, natural, and man made. This exhibit pulls togther some of those diasters whether created by fire, water, wind, or human error. Once in the exhibit please selct an event at the right to go to the records you wish to research.
Over the years Farmington, NH has hosted many large and small scale events, held joyous parties, celebrations, and parades often, and have honored sacrifices and hardship with memorials and reflective services. This exhibit contains documents, articles, and photographs detailing those activities in Farmington.
The Burial & Cemetery Books & Documents exhibit contains documents and books detailing burial and cemetery information in Farmington, NH. It can be used to find persons and families that may be buried in the town limits of Farmington that are not buried at the Pine Grove Cemetery. Much of the information available for rural or family plots was compiled and made available by Twink Osgood. For information about families buried at the Pine Grove Cemetery visit them on Facebook or visit findagrave.com and conduct an online search.
Documents, photographs, and books detailing the lives of people in the town of Farmington.
Documents, photographs, and books detailing the small businesses, the factories, large scale businesses, and service companies in the town of Farmington.
This exhibit includes maps, articles, and documents covering topography, position, and location in and around Farmington, NH. Many of the maps of the downtown area contain detailed information and keys. When viewing the Sanborn-Perris fire insurance maps pay great attention not only to the keys, but also to the year of the map being viewed, and how the specific information on tenants, building upgrades, etc. has changed. Surveys were taken regularly and though the roads and building may not change greatly between survey years, tenants and building alterations do.
Farmington NH Annual Town Reports contain a wealth of information about people, businesses, policy, warrants, and budgets of the town over time. Earlier reports have deaths, births, and marriages recorded. Once in the exhibit please select a time range at the right to go to the correct time period and find the report you wish to research. The museum has physical copies of most reports from the 1870's through the mid 1950's. We are working on finding reports to add to the collection for most the mid 1950's through the present. If you have copies you would like to donate please let us know. Digital copies of reports from the 1870's to the present are being added as the museum has time. PLEASE NOTE: These resources were created during the 19th or 20th century. They have biases stemming from those periods.
Documents, photographs, and books detailing the public libraries in the town of Farmington.
Along with the school libraries, Farmington's first library for citizens was the Farmington Public Library, which resided in the Farmington Opera House. The first library and all of its' books, documents, and colections were destroyed in a horrble fire that engulfed the Farmington Opera House in 1928.
The second public library to be opened in Farmington was the Goodwin Library, whose corner stone was laid on August 23, 1928; the Goodwin Library was dedicated on May 10, 1929 and was opened for business the next day.