Farmington News Article Old Stone Lobby Being Razed, Page3, 1950-05-12

Title

Farmington News Article Old Stone Lobby Being Razed, Page3, 1950-05-12

Description

A Farmington News  article about the old stone lobby beng razed. From page 2 may 12, 1950.

The article reads:

OLD STONE LOBBY,
HISTORICAL FARMINGTON
LANDMARK BEING RAZED

One of Farmingtons oldest his
torical landmarks the old stone
lobby situated on the property of
Mrs Loren D Hunt. Sr on
Church street is presently being
razed and altough the large
granite blocks which made up
the structure, will still remain In
Farmington the building itself
will soon be only a memory to lo
cal residents
The lobby isbeing removed by
Murray N Daudelin, who plans to
use the stones for a retaining wall
on his property on Park drive in
the Veterans housing project
area. The work is expected to be
completed this week.
The old lobby was constructed
in 1839 by W illiam H Sampson
according to historical data con
tained in the museum at the
Goodwin library and although
no mention was made of its use it
is generally though to have been
intended for a temporary jail
where lawbreakers were to be
conflned until judgment was
passed on them. It Is doubtful
however if it was ever actually
used for this purpose.
The razing also serves another
purpose a safety precaution. For
many year children of all ages
have made this a playground and
the thought of someone getting
seriously hurt while playing on
or around it was constantly a
source of concern for the owner.



This is a digital file and does not reside in the physical collection.


FHS-Kyle Leach

Creator

Farmington News

Publisher

Farmington News

Date

5-12-1950

Date Created

5-12-1950

Files

Citation

Farmington News, “Farmington News Article Old Stone Lobby Being Razed, Page3, 1950-05-12,” Farmington Historical Society-Museum of Farmington History, accessed April 14, 2024, https://farmingtonnhhistory.omeka.net/items/show/643.